Monday, November 8, 2010

Collective Soul: The Rabbit


So, it been a couple weeks since my last post and I've been listening to Collective Soul's newest album, Collective Soul (or Rabbit as the band nicknamed it) a lot. Overall, I'm very impressed. The musicianship, I thought, was much enhanced compared to the band's older stuff. The guitar skills stood out for me. The drums were done by the bands new drummer, Cheney Brannon, and I really enjoy the interesting beats. Ed Roland's vocals were great as usual and he even played some keys, which were fairly decent. As for the songs, the bulk of them are excellent, save two. The tracks Fuzzy and Lighten Up were kind of disappointing, but more so Fuzzy. I just do not understand why they felt the need to include that song on the album. But, of course, the good outweighs the bad. The top three songs in my opinion are Staring Down, You and Welcome All Again. Staring Down is an upbeat song and includes Ed Roland on the keyboard, which was excellent. This was the first single they released from the album. You is a slower song and speaks to the heart. Welcome All Again is a rocking song and it's easy to get into. My overall rating for the album is a 8.5 out of 10 (Fuzzy brought it down). This will be one of my favourite albums for quite a while.


Collective Soul - Collective Soul (Rabbit)

1. Welcome All Again *****
2. Fuzzy *
3. Dig ****
4. You *****
5. My Days ****
6. Understanding *****
7. Staring Down *****
8. She Does *****
9. Lighten Up **
10. Love ****
11. Hymn For My Father ***

No comments:

Post a Comment